[Rhodes22-list] Project Rhodes in Central VA

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Fri Nov 21 20:39:23 EST 2014

Hey All

I'm considering selling my Rhodes (I think it is a 71).   I purchased
her 4 years ago as a project boat and since then, I've repaired some
cracks in the hulls, faired all the dings and nicks, and repainted the
hull.   I've also gutted the galley.  The remainder of the v-birth and
head area were in decent shape so I left that alone.

I've also fitted a nice double axle trailer to the boat and the boat is
presently on the trailer.  When I got her, she came with a 1-season old
main sail that had only been used a few weekends. Still crispy.  The
roller furled headsail was reported to be in "serviceable" condition but
I have not unrolled it.  If you are interested in the boat, I can
certainly do that and take some pics for you.  The rigging is in usable
shape but there are a few tight turn buckles that I would replace.

The ports are shot and need to be replaced.  The deck is solid but needs
new paint.  The rudder is in good shape but the tiller will need to be
replaced.

I was going to restore this boat to its former glory but a Balboa 26
crossed my eye and I ended up fixing that one up instead and we have
spent the past two summers cruising in the Balboa.  I've restored 6 old
boats in my days and I can say that this boat can be made nice and ready
to sail with about 70 hours of focused work..... but I don't think I
want to fix this Rhodes up now.  I've got my eye on building a Wharram
Tiki from scratch and have lost my lust for this project.

I'm willing to let her go for the value of the trailer and main sail and
consider the boat as a donation to a worthy enthusiast.  If you have
some carpentry skills and want to rebuild the galley area this could be
a really good boat for you....(my plan was to simply make a larger salon
and cook in the cockpit).

I have titles for the boat and trailer.

I can send you pictures of what I've done so far.....

$700 for the trailer and $500 for the sail   ... but you have to drive
off with the boat.

What this boat will need
1)  New Ports
2)  A sole in the salon (or a complete rebuild of the galley -- your choice)
3)  Some puck lighting
4) Nav. Lights
5) New Tiller
6) Paint on the top sides.
7) Recover the dagger board cap (glass a new cap.)
8) Some Cushions to sleep on.