[Rhodes22-list] Bikes on board the Rhodes 22

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Oct 15 20:05:16 EDT 2014

At 09:07 AM 10/15/2014, you wrote:
>Thanks for the input regarding sailing with bikes.  Jeff K has also
>asked how the Rhodes 22 compares to the precision 23.  The Rhodes 22
>has many advantages over other boats however I am not familiar with
>the Precision 23. Does anyone have experience with how they compare?
>Hi.  We also saw the Precision 23 while at the show and it was quite
>roomy and also has a retractable keel. .  I'd love some input on the
>advantages of the Rhodes 22 over this boat. Thanks for any help.
>Chris Cowie for Jeff K ----- Christopher P. Cowie

Hi Chris (& Jeff),
We looked at a Precision 23 back when we were trying to decide
between the P23, a Com-pac 23 and the Rhodes 22 in 1997.

The Com-Pac lost out early but in the end we were beguiled by all of
the nice engineering touches on the R22.

The P23 is a fast somewhat tender fractional rig. It sails very, very
well. We were looking for a cruising boat. The Rhodes 22 also sails
very well but the pop-top which gives you standing headroom in the
cabin (which the P23lacks), the cabin layout, the very usable galley
and the fabulous cockpit of the R22 sold us on the boat. Since we
became Rhodies, we have come to appreciate touches like the in mast
furling main and the well-designed, easy to use motor mount.

The boat had taken us up and down the Upper Chesapeake, kept us safe
in weather we didn't want to be out in and was our weekend home for
more than 5 years.

We've never regretted it.

Best,
Mary Lou