[Rhodes22-list] Battery switch question: 1, 2 or both

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Oct 16 07:06:08 EDT 2014

Bob,

Traditionally, on larger diesel engine boats, the 2 way battery switch is
designed to separate your batteries into a bank for the house and a bank
for the engine.  You use the engine bank to start the engine, switch to
both while the engine is running to charge both banks and then use the
house bank once the engine has been shut off.  This helps to ensure that
you don't run your batteries down while sailing to the point where you
can't start the engine.

As Rummy pointed out, your strategy will depend on how your boat is
acutually wired.  I've looked at a few rhodes and even did some work for
Stan on the electical system of a couple of boats and I will say that Stan
does not follow the generally accepted marine elecrical wiring practices.
If you really want to get into it, I suggest you read Don Casey's books on
Sailboat electrical systems.

Sailboat Electrics Simplified
http://www.amazon.com/Sailboat-Electrics-Simplified-Don-Casey/dp/0070366497

Sailboat Electrical Systems: Improvement, Wiring, and Repair
http://www.amazon.com/Sailboat-Electrical-Systems-Improvement-Library-ebook/dp/B007VLTJ30

Hank