[Rhodes22-list] hull deck joint reseal questions

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Sep 10 15:04:15 EDT 2014

Mike,

Why indeed would I want to forgo sailing almost an entire season to take
apart my boat?
1.  Either the original factory laminate was not that solid. Stan mentioned
that he farmed out some of the early hulls to Loftland, KS.

2. My boat  was severely abused by previous owners. Water was allowed to
stay in bilge, cabin and centerboard trunk for long periods of time
(probably years!)  I've added many additional layers of glass to small
sections of the bow area and wanted to address the flexing of the mid to
stern areas of my hull  by either cutting holes into the cockpit floor and
working sections of the hull that way or taking the two sections apart and
just re glassing as much as I could.  While this method seems the most
efficient, there is a good chance the two sections will never fit properly
again and that it wouldn't be possible to pull them apart without ripping
the important shoe box flange.

3, I figured this was going to be my final attempt to restore the boat to a
near pristine condition and was willing to take the chance since I had to
remove the rub rail anyway.

I will most likely just add some glass to the exterior hull around the bow
and aft where the boat stands usually are placed.
Somehow I was able to stop the annoying leak with my final layers of glass
on the bow this spring and the boat sails great.  I just wanted to know if
anyone out there had done the most difficult part of the restoration process
themselves.

thanks for your response.
Lou
sv Miracles