[Rhodes22-list] loose railings

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Fri Apr 3 15:08:12 EDT 2015

Jefferson,
I just rebuilt my 1974.
I drilled out the remaining stanchion pop rivets and removed all the various screws that had been installed over 40 years. I also took off all the stanchion hull mounts both front and rear. I rebedded them in 3M5200 and put ss fender washers under all the ss mounting screws and nuts.
I am a anti leak fanatic so I coated the stanchion base mounting screws in silicone sealant before I reinstalled them. I also put a small dab of silicone under and on the top the head of every screw I reinstalled on the entire boat.
I then drilled out the stanchion mounts, sttaightened the tubing and reinstalled the tubing into the stanchion mounts and connectors  with larger #12 ss sheet metal screws. I also put a dab of Pl construction adhesive inside every fitting and drove in a small plastic wedge to further stiffen the connections. It may be overkill but they are not going to fail or pull out when I need them the most.

Fred Haag
Phoenix

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 5 ACTIVE™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone