[Rhodes22-list] Removing Bootstripe Adhesive - 3M 5959

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sat Apr 25 21:12:52 EDT 2015

When I stripped and did osmosis repair on the bottom of my boat last summer
I first did some research to find a masking tape that I could leave on the
hull for an extended period of time and would not absorb epoxy. I found a
tape manufactured by 3M called "5959" that was really marvellous. It looks
and handles like duct tape except that the outside is bright red and the
adhesive is white. It is very tenacious like duct tape and has the rough
cloth core. I worried when I got it what sort of edge I would get with it.
As it turned out, I left it on the boat for at least a month in direct
summer sunlight.

When it came time to remove it, it came of cleanly and left absolutely no
residue. The paint line was surprisingly clean - not as sharp as an
automotive high end tape but certainly more than satisfactory for a
waterline. I had coated the hull with 6 coats of epoxy and because of the
coating and strength of the tape it came of cleanly. Epoxy can soak into
paper tape making it very difficult to remove if you wait for it to cure.

So if you need the tenacity and strength of duct tape but also something
that can stay on for 90 days, this stuff is great. A 50 yard roll coat me
$20 in Canadian dollars so it is probably half that price in the US. You
will have to get your dealer to order it for you as they are unlikely to
have it in stock

Here is a URL for the tape:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Products/~/3M-Ou
tdoor-Masking-and-Stucco-Tape-5959?N=5471778+3294262941&rt=rud

Graham