[Rhodes22-list] Furl sails or lower boom

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Aug 4 15:41:22 EDT 2015

Jerry - thanks for your description. I also sail on an inland lake w/
occasionally flukey winds.  I usually furl the 175 to about 115% (even w/
outer shroud) at 8-10 knots and keep pop top up w/ full main.  Above 12-15
I drop the boom and, depending on heel, may use traveler to balance the
helm.  I will experiment with leaving pop top up in slightly windier
weather and try reefing the main a tad. The nice thing about the boat is
the variety of ways you can balance things out.  I usually don't put sheets
in the inside fairlead track unless I really need to point. I find that on
outside track the tacking angle is about 70 degrees. I can get it down to
60 degrees or so on the inside track.

I continue to see messages about difficulty of tacking the 175.  I don't
loose the sheet until I see the boom coming across (Stan's rule) - this
helps move the bow across the wind and blows the genoa across the deck with
no problems.

Cheers,
Shawn
s/v Sweet Baboo (Recycled 86)