[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit Scuppers

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Aug 13 08:48:51 EDT 2015

   Graham,
   Can you send the pictures?
   Todd T
   --
   Sent from my Android phone with [1]mail.com Mail. Please excuse my
   brevity.

   The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> wrote:

     I changed the subject of this line to reflect the contents relating
     cockpit scubbers.
     Yes, in fact I just finished installing cockpit scuppers about 20
     minutes
     ago - having started 3 years ago. In my boat (79) the cockpit
     drains above
     the lazarette originally had 3/4" mushroom thru-hulls. These small
     thru-hulls were constantly being clogged and seemed inadequate to
     me when
     the cockpit needed to drain quickly.
     The area around where they were placed was depressed - presumably
     so the
     water would funnel into the drain. The depression was defeated by
     the
     mushroom cap and so water always pooled around the thru-hull and
     stained the
     gel coat. The same was true for the cockpit drain where the
     mushroom cap
     prevented the all the water from draining out.
     Years ago I simply removed the 3/4" " thru-hulls and replaced them
     with 1
     1/2" ones in the deck and transom. That let the water flow with
     much less
     clogging but I still got the pool around the thru-hull.
     I have since installed flush mounted scuppers in both the deck and
     in the
     cockpit drain. For the deck drains, I filled the depression with
     epoxy with
     fairing powder and then sanded it flush with the surrounding area.
     I then
     painted the entire deck of the boat but you could patch the area
     with gel
     coat. I was planning to paint the deck anyway.
     I used a Dremel with a sanding drum to create the hole with bevel
     sides and
     then made a donut of plywood that I attached under the hole with
     thickened
     epoxy for strength and depth. The ones under the deck has to be
     tapered to
     fit as the bottom side of the deck is not horizontal to the deck.
     I now have flush-mounted scuppers that should eliminate the problem
     of water
     stains. This was not a particularly difficult job but it took
     longer than
     you might expect as it is fussy.
     I can send photos if you want them
     Graham Stewart