[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit Scuppers

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Aug 13 16:51:51 EDT 2015

Everything I have ever heard indicates that water drains very quickly
through the scuppers. I believe we've only ever taken one very large
wave over the bow/cabin top. (powerboat wake).  A lot of water came
over and poured into the cockpit, everything was soaked but by the
time I looked to see how much water was in the cockpit it was gone.
David Dawson wrote about a similar experience many years ago:
http://www.rhodes22.org/blew_skies/dawson.html

The only occasion I've ever heard of a Rhodes 22 turtling was under
power in a microburst.
http://www.rhodes22.org/blew_skies/capsize.html  I don't think larger
scuppers would have helped. A combination of wind and waves might do
it but water in the cockpit seams like and unlikely cause.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Recycled 1998
Rock Hall, MD