[Rhodes22-list] Trailer bearing question.

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sat Aug 15 16:55:21 EDT 2015

All the other advise is spot on,but if you have trouble getting the outer
races out of the hub ,take it to a welder and have him run a bean around
the center of the bearing. When it cool the race will shrink and should
fall out
  The best tip I've heard for taking care of boat trailer bearings is to
grease the bearing buddies after you get to the lake ,just before you
splash it.  The thinking is that th bearings heat up on the trip to the
lake,when the hot bearings hit the cool water,the grease and air in the
bearing shrink and create a vacuum,sucking in water and the grease and
junk that oozed out of the bearing on the way to the lake right in to
the bearing,just waiting to ruin your trip home. If you grease the
bearing before just before splash,there is no room for any thing to be
drawn in.

Jerry Lowe

am about to do an overhaul on my 27 year old Trailmaster Rhodes 22