[Rhodes22-list] Trailer bearing question.e

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sat Aug 15 10:31:13 EDT 2015

   I agree with Joe. Disassembling, cleaning and repacking every year is
   a lot easier than dealing with a break down far from home.
   I bought a $15 bearing packing tool from an auto store which makes the
   job faster and less messy.
   [1]https://youtu.be/ZXlK0ihVu60
   Knocking the old bearing races out can be done with a steel punch but
   it is recommended to use a brass punch drift to install the new ones
   so you do not scar them. I have a press and bearing punch tool so I
   press mine in. I put the races in my deep freeze for about 20 minutes
   so the shrink slightly and go in easier. This helps, especially if you
   are knocking them in with the brass drift.
   BoatUS had a good video:
   [2]https://youtu.be/jMX3m-uZcr8
   Todd T
   --
   Sent from my Android phone with [3]mail.com Mail. Please excuse my
   brevity.

   The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> wrote:

     Definitely replace the bearings. On an older trailer I used parts
     from:
     [4]http://www.championtrailers.com/trailer-bearing-kits/
     Just measure your old bearings and order the new ones to match.
     Cost about $12 each.
     After a recent 1,000 mile trip from western Ct to Camden Me and
     back, my bearings on the 11 year old GB Triade trailer failed about
     two miles from home. I was using the bearing buddies but somehow
     grit got into the bearings causing them to fail. The commercial
     trucking firm that towed the boat and trailer suggested either
     replacing the bearings every year or washing them in a solvent and
     repacking every year.
     Joe
     Joseph Doucet
     70 pumping station rd