[Rhodes22-list] Rummy

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sat Aug 29 18:29:54 EDT 2015

nicely said

In a message dated 8/29/2015 1:43:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org writes:

One more  thing...this is a tremendous shock to all....and please
understand the meaning  behind my words....when our time is up.....it is a blessing
to go  quickly....and not to suffer through treatments and 'procedures' which
may buy  time but at the cost of pain and stress....and knowing the outcome
is just  being delayed.

the loved ones left behind can take comfort that this  was not a long,
lingering death, as was my husband's and many others.....Quick  is harder for us
but easier for our loved one....and not one among us would  wish suffering
on our loved one.

so as we cry and remember, and laugh  and remember, let's be grateful if he
suffered  little.

elle

Northern Neck Images

<rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>  wrote:

> I never met Rummy but but could hardly not know him  through all the
advice and friendship he offered to us all.
> There will  be many holes in all the places he filled....would it be if
we could go back a  few days and tell him the gratitude and respect we all
felt for him.
>  In Rummy' s memory.....take the time to tell someone now....not when it
is too  late.
> If I may be first...thank you Rummy, Stan, Rose, and 'da list'  for being
there....

> Stan, Rose, I know my thanks are at least  a decade early.....but I'm
trying to beat the rush....

> Elle
>
> Northern Neck Images
>

>> On Aug 29, 2015, at 9:33 AM, The Rhodes 22 Email List
<rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> wrote:

>> I don't  believe that he is gone!  Say it ain't so.
>>
>> He  replied to me just last Saturday morning about his experience with
>>  battery terminals saying that he was delayed in getting back to me
because
>> he had poor internet while on vacation.  That may  very well have been
his
>> final contribution to "da  list".
>>
>> At times, Rummy and I had different opinions  about how to maintain or
repair
>> our Rhodes 22s but he always  vigorously defended his choices,
occasionally
>> changing mine.   In the end, we agreed, either solution would have been
just
>> as  good.  He provided sage advice to anyone on the list who had a
question,
>> whether a newbie or an accomplished sailor.  If he  was pushed to accept
>> compensation for his efforts to help another  Rhodie, he would ask only
for a
>> bottle of his Mt. Gay as payment  in full.  It was his generosity and
free
>> interchange of ideas  that built my great respect for a person I feel
>> privileged to call  a friend.
>>
>> I am pleased to have known him for so many  years even though we never
met in
>> person.  We had talked  about getting together at the lake many times.
He
>> needed  more Rhodies at Hartwell and could not understand why I continue
>> accept a much shorter sailing season up north.   Unfortunately, my work
got
>> in the way of life and I never made the  trip.  Life is too short to put
off
>> the really important  things.
>>
>> My heart goes out to his family.  They  are in my thoughts and prayers.
>> pray that Rummy will  always have plenty of water under his keel, fair
winds
>> in his  sails and a glass of Mt. Gay in his hand, wherever he may wonder.
>>
>> Mike
>> s/v Windlass ('91)
>> Nissequogue  River, NY

Email