[Rhodes22-list] New Joint of Deck and Hull

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Feb 3 18:00:47 EST 2015

I have had a lot of great advise from everyone on the Deck and Hull repair.  But, still have one question/problem.

Rhodes 22 have a Shoe Box joint and have aluminum pop rivets to hold the joint together, plus some old style glue.  I am following the lead from Rummy and will Fiberglass the joint and use stainless steel bolts with locking nuts. Here is my outline of the repair.

 On one side of boat at a time:
1. Remove rivets one at a time and in every third hole insert a temporary bolt and nut to hold joint together. .
2. Remove all rub rail, aluminum and rubber.
3. Sand the area where rub rail was, careful with temporary bolts.
4. Insert permanent bolts with washers and locking nuts, use 5200 to seal bolts.
5. Tighten nuts from inside of boat. ( some may be hard to reach)
6. Fiberglass the area , making sure to cover the bottom lip of the joint and also cover the bolts.
 6b. Maybe gelcoat some area.
7. Replace aluminum rub rail and use Fiberglass PEANUT BUTTER to attach aluminum part to boat.  ???
8. Insert rubber
9. Touch up.

 The reason I want to use Fiberglass to set the rub rail is because setting the rub rail with bolts will require more holes to be drilled.  My boat leaks from the holes where the aluminum pop rivets have CORRODED.  I am not in favor of drilling more holes into a boat.  I know that everyone says that it took 30 years for the leaks to occur but why do the same mistake again?

My question is : Will the rub rail hold using Fiberglass??  Other Comments?

Thanks,
Chuy

My personal email is chcarreon at cox.net if you would rather reply just to me.