[Rhodes22-list] New Joint of Deck and Hull

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Feb 4 15:24:59 EST 2015

I would not suggest glassing the joint as a first option or on a newer boat.
It is a lot of work and unless you are stripping out the entire cabin
fixtures, too disruptive. However, if you have already removed all of the
interior structure and have good access to the joint it is not, in my view,
an unwarranted step to take.

There is quite a lot of information on the net about the advantages of
glassing the join on boats where the join is such that glassing is
practicable. Some like the famous world sailor and author Hal Roth, did it
on the outside and then had to completely fair and repaint the entire boat.
That, I would not want to do on any boat where I had any concern about how
it would look afterwards.  The construction of the Rhodes, however, makes
glassing on the inside much easier and practical as the join is entirely
hidden.

Here is an example of advice on this point:
http://www.wavetrain.net/boats-a-gear/317-fiberglass-boatbuilding-hull-deck-
joints

Because my boat was already stripped out, it took me a few hours to glass up
the join. It was not difficult and makes a join that is very strong - in
effect making the hull and deck into a single piece. I will still use bolts
so the glass only strengthens what would be there anyway. Weight is minimal
- maybe a few pounds. Increasing rigidity at the join is, in my view, a good
thing as movement at the join is bound to lead to trouble.

My boat is an old one and there is no possibility that it will be recycled
or have the deck removed for any other purpose. But the old boats had
thinner glass construction and are more likely to leak - if only because of
their advanced age. The value will not depreciate as it has little value
anyway. What it should do, however, is give a boat that I like a lot  a new
lease on life.

All that said, you obviously need to carefully consider whether this is a
necessary or worthwhile repair under your particular circumstances. I don't
understand why it would be rejected out of hand in all circumstances.

Graham