[Rhodes22-list] Battery

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun Feb 15 19:23:45 EST 2015

I'm actually using 2 Everstart deep cycle batteries from Wal-Mart.  The
difference between a regular car battery and a deep cycle battery is how
long they will maintain their voltage without requiring to be charged.  Cars
typically need a lot of power to get the engine turning, once the engine
fires up, the alternator takes over providing the power to the car.  So
batteries for the car are designed to provide a quick blast of energy and
then recover quickly during a charge cycle.

Deep cycle batteries are designed to provide power over continuous use.
Whether you are running lights at night, fans to cool off with or
electronics for navigation or entertainment, deep cycle is meant to be able
to provide that charge for hours on end (depending on just how much
electricity you are using).

I use a trolling motor instead of an outboard for coming and going from the
marina.  One afternoon on my way back in from a solo sail out into the Gulf,
the wind died entirely and the water went glass smooth.  I ended up trolling
for about two hours at full speed.  I check the batteries when I got back to
the docks and they still appeared near full charge. (12.25v instead of 12.56
which is their normal level)

I purchased the biggest batteries I could and the price difference between
the deep cycle and the car battery of equal cold cranking amp was only a
couple of dollars.  I would suggest you get the biggest deep cycle batteries
you can as well.

James