[Rhodes22-list] Help me find a new home port

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Fri Jan 2 20:06:45 EST 2015

I can vouch for everything Brooks is saying about the Eastern Shore of MD.

We have a small place in Bellevue, MD which is on one end of the Oxford/Bellevue ferry run (the longest running privately owned ferry in the country). Bellevue is a ten minute drive to St. Michaels, MD which is a quaint but touristy town (which means some crowded sidewalks on nice days but also access to good restaurants). Oxford is also worth considering - a much more quiet and sleepy town with expensive real estate.  The Eastern Shore has many communities, but you can start with Cambridge, Oxford and St. Michaels to get a sense of the place. And Brooks is right about the blood pressure lowering once you're over the Bay Bridge -- there is something special about the area.

We kept our R-22 for years at the Washington Sailing Marina near Washington, DC's Reagan Airport (we live most of the year in Arlington, VA), but once we moved the boat to our creek in Bellevue, I find myself using it and enjoying it far more on the rivers leading to the Chesapeake Bay.   We are on Tar Creek, which feeds into the Tred Avon river.  The Tred Avon Yacht Club has a long history and a great sailing school for kids.

Add in the maritime history of the region (Oxford was one of the earlier ports in the New World and the first in Maryland), and it all adds up to a special place.

All the best,

Mark Putnam
Arlington, VA/Bellevue, MD
'90/'06 R-22