[Rhodes22-list] Deck mounted chain plate

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun Jan 11 17:29:43 EST 2015

Lynn,

Tree vs. Rhodes 22 mast - definitely a new way to trim trees!

A similar incident befell another Rhodie during a trip in which he demasted
his rig using a power line.  Lots of damage but fortunately no loss of life
or serious injury (other than to his pride).  You can read the details at:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2008-July/052521.html

The repairs may be of interest to you since he was able to replace the
chainplates and hide the access as follows:

Basic repair and replacement of chainplate showing a backing block epoxied
to the outside fiberglass of cabin top after cutting an access in cabin top
liner:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20080828/739e846
1/attachment-0001.jpg

Outside view showing through bolted chainplate:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20080828/739e846
1/attachment-0002.jpg

Neat cover plate on inside - good as new:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20080828/739e846
1/attachment.jpg

The only criticism that I have ever heard about the repair is that the
through bolted chainplate may cause more damage to the cabin top fiberglass
if the mishap is ever repeated.  Some have advocated a less secure
attachment permitting the chainplate to release without substantial damage
such as using nylon bolts or self-tapping screws rather than through bolts.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass  ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY