[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard cap

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Jan 13 13:11:02 EST 2015

How long has it been since last inspected? If it has been many years, this
might be a good time to check it out. Removing the cap is a bit of a pain as
there are 40 or so bolts that are way down low but not all that difficult a
task otherwise unless someone sealed the darn thing down with 3M 5200 or
equivalent. That is what happened to me and it was impossible to remove
without damaging and breaking the cap. Even so it took many hours cutting
through the sealant with a knife that I would heat with a torch and then cut
an inch or so each time. The cap was not that hard to repair but it would
have been a much easier task had the cap been installed with an appropriate
gasket. In any event, make sure that when you install the new floor that you
build in a way to remove it when you do need to service the CB and trunk.
So, basically my advice is to go ahead if the cap is currently installed
properly and it has been a long time since last checked. It will be much
easier to get the cap off if the floor stringers are removed - as I
understand is the case in your situation.

When I first inspected mine I found that all of the blocks had seized. I
also took the opportunity to paint the centreboard and inside of the trunk
with antifouling. 15 years later when I removed the cap for the second time
I found that the antifouling was still completely clean so either it worked
very well or I didn't need it in the first place. Still, once the
centreboard is removed it is easy to paint the trunk and doesn't hurt. I am
in fresh water but the lake has zebra mussels which can build into a massive
coating if they find the right circumstances. Antifouling is very effective
with them. It would be interesting to see what the experience of others has
been with fouling in the centreboard trunk.

Graham