[Rhodes22-list] Doyle UPS sail experience, helm balance, etc.

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Jan 13 19:35:03 EST 2015

My R22 (which I got late 2014) came with a UPS and I never got to try it and
now won't be able to until April or so.

I think Doyle says it's close to a 200% genoa.

I'm hoping to go with a small (130 or lower) dacron jib for winds above 10
knots and use the UPS for under 10.  We usually have  a lot of light winds
in the summer on the Chesapeake. I could see using it quite a bit.

I'm aware of need to be wary of wind increasing when going down wind - don't
ask me how I know.

I'm not interested in racing so not worried about PHRF. I just want to sail
a lot and being able to go well in light airs is appealing - especially if I
pass some other boats :-)

I'm curious as to how the boat balances, how close to jib people are
mounting the tack, whether it's a fairly practical sail or a pain in some
way.

Lastly, if I get REAL adventurous at some point and add a sprit to the boat
so I can attach UPS to tip of the sprit, out in front of jib, would that
give me a big lee helm? It seems possible.

I think it would be a rare thing to fly jib and UPS at same time although
saw Mary Lou's post and pictures doing just that.

In general, any advice appreciated.

Brooks Bridges
R22 1986/2006 (narrowing down list of name candidates)
Cambridge, MD