[Rhodes22-list] Doyle UPS sail experience, helm balance, etc.

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Jan 13 22:17:45 EST 2015

HI Brooks,

I've put a few comments after your questions but let me say we love
our UPS. It is a joy in the light air conditions and very forgiving.
You can sail surprisingly high with it - not close hauled but well
above a broad reach.

At 07:35 PM 1/13/2015, you wrote:
>I'm curious as to how the boat balances, how close to jib people are
>mounting the tack, whether it's a fairly practical sail or a pain in some
>way.

It does take a bit of set-up as you have to raise and lower it each
time you go sailing. It's self-furling but high winds will tend to
unwrap it. Do you have the continuous line furling for it? I know
some of the later ones did. Ours does not so we have to run the
separate sheets for it. It also helps if your genoa track goes aft to
the winches.

I assume you are already have a halyard for it. You'll also need a
halyard restrainer.

The tack on ours is just in front of the vent opening (we have a
Nicro solar vent there), maybe 7 or 8 inches back from the bow. I've
attached a photo that should show you the geometry.

>Lastly, if I get REAL adventurous at some point and add a sprit to the boat
>so I can attach UPS to tip of the sprit, out in front of jib, would that
>give me a big lee helm? It seems possible.

R22s already have a tendency towards lee helm. I think that might
well increase the tendency.

>I think it would be a rare thing to fly jib and UPS at same time although
>saw Mary Lou's post and pictures doing just that.

We only did that once but it was a light air steady downwind run from
Baltimore to Rock Hall. It somehow just seemed like natural thing to
do. It was actually steadier than wing and wing downwind.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD