[Rhodes22-list] How bad is my CB plate?(Bad, really bad)

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun Jan 18 19:56:05 EST 2015

Brooks:

Here is a link to a better video than the one I suggested yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N7YMr6E564

The video is prepared by West System and so it uses epoxy rather than
polyester - which I would strongly recommend as it is much stronger. Epoxy
sticks to polyester but the converse is not true so you would not use epoxy
where you might use polyester in the future.

The video concerns itself with a hull repair where cosmetics and a perfectly
smooth surface is important. In your case you don't need to worry about that
and can build up a good path over the repair on the topside. This means you
don't need to grind out a 12:1 bevel as they do in the video. You can go
much smaller and cap over the entire area with multiple layers of cloth. You
might need to grind a flat surface above the hole so that the washer for the
bold will sit flat. Put the cloth in the hole and cover that with the patch
using filler to make sure there are no voids. Once set you can turn the cap
over and fill the remainder of the hole with a high strength filler. Only
use the fairing filler for a final levelling as it has little strength.

You may have noted that when epoxy is used the fibreglass cloth is woven
roving. With polyester fibreglass matt is used. Epoxy will not wet out the
matt properly so don't use it - use the woven cloth.

Yesterday I suggested how you can repair the inside surface of the cap to
ensure that it is smooth and flat. If the surface is in good condition in
areas other than a few damaged holes you might not need to create a new
surface over the entire length of the cap if you carefully fill the area
with fairing filler and sand it perfectly even with the surrounding area. If
there are more than a few repaired holes it will probably easier to create a
new surface as it is difficult to sand epoxy smooth without taking away
surrounding material. It might be smooth but it will not likely be flat.

Once the cap is repaired you can locate where to drill the new holes by
placing the cap on the trunk, insert a couple of bolts in holes that did not
require repair to hold it in place and then mark the hole from the underside
with a short pencil or nail.

Good luck,

Graham