[Rhodes22-list] Need tow vehicle recommendation

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun Jul 12 13:05:50 EDT 2015

Steve,
There are many aspects of a tow vehicle which one must consider before
making that leap. Towing capacity is just a number and doesn't account for all
the other things you must consider. Every vehicle has a GVWR which is the
vehicle gross weight rating. This includes the boat and trailer and also the
tow  vehicle and all occupants. Things that are important for towing are
the  transmission (automatic preferred by every manufacturer) tranny cooler,
brakes,  springs and shocks, tires, engine size and radiator cooling
capacity. Some  towing packages come with a larger alternator to power trailer
lights.
A vehicle with a 3500 lb towing capacity IS NOT sufficient to tow a R22.
You want something with around 5,000 pounds, factory tow package and the
longer  the wheel base the better the ride. I'm extremely partial to Michelin
tires  also. Always try to imagine the worst case scenario, such as having an
accident  and ending up in a court of law and explaining the use of a 3500
lb towing  vehicle to tow a 4,000 pound trailer and boat. Consumers reports
is not a good  authority on tow vehicles in my opinion. Use your own
judgement and pick one  that suits your needs the best. My first tow vehicle was a
dodge ram 1500 long  bed, two wheel drive, V6 and factory tow package. It was
rated at 5000 lbs and  did an admirable job. My current vehicle is a Dodge
Ram 1500, 4 x 4 with a small  V-8 (burns E-85) and I prefer this one by
quite a lot. Four wheel drive is nice  to have on steep and slippery ramps if
for no other reason than peace of mind. I  have only used it on one occasion
at a ramp.

Rummy

In a message dated 7/12/2015 12:44:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,