[Rhodes22-list] Leave Bimini up? Anchor rode rope to chain connection? IMF Main storage

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Fri Jun 19 08:24:13 EDT 2015

HI Brooks,
Yes same cover. the cover is in better shape than the bimini itself.
The bimini has a couple of worn spots where it's rubbed against the
boom (when we were using it (and we always use it except when sailing
in high winds.) The straps will probable be the first to go - we now
make sure they are well tucked into the cover but we didn't always
and it turns out that they are most susceptible to sun damage.

We do carry the anchor and the rode, figuring that if we need it
right away, it's all together. We have a Fortress. It has held really
well for us even in some high wind with shifts in direction from when
we anchored. I've found it a bit trickier than an ordinary Danforth
to get set at least until I got used to it. We now seem to be able to
set it reliably the first time everytime using a very light touch
until it grabs and then letting the wind back us down it until we
have about a 3-1 scope paid out and then back down with the motor.
Once we are sure it's set we always use about a 7-1 scope unless the
winds are high (when we use more).

Are you planning to do much anchoring out? You've got an awful lot of
wonderful anchorages down there without ever leaving the Choptank.
Add in the Little Choptank and there are even more.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
recycled 1998