[Rhodes22-list] Fixed Ports

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue May 26 21:13:15 EDT 2015

So my four fore ports have already been replaced, so i'm trying to get out
with the minimal work necessary, though I love the size of your
deadlights.  I also didn't realize the curve in the fiberglass until seeing
your photos.

I believe i'm going to try 3/16" or 1/8" plexiglass (not lexan) as it
should flex better for the hull curve.  I might also try heating the
plexiglass to match the hull curve, depending on pressure required for
holding in place for the cure time.

I'm seeing other posts about doing the double sided tape with silicon, but
i'm hesitant, seems to me making a silicon gasket, then using screws to
pull the plexiglass in tight after 24 hours of curing would improve the
seal drastically.  Based on my understanding of thermal expansion, on
individual deadlights the worst case thermal expansion for me would be
0.06" difference between the acrylic and fiberglass, so I wouldn't think
that would be a problem.

-- Curtis