[Rhodes22-list] Fixed Ports

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed May 27 11:28:15 EDT 2015

Curtis:
For what it is worth, regular silicone did not work well for me last time
around. The recommended silicone for this purpose is Dow Corning brand,
silicone # 791. It is a specialized sealant used for glazing that adheres
well and is able to expand and shrink by 50%. In my first attempt, thermal
expansion with lexan was enough to break the lexan around the screw holes.
That is a pretty serious force as lexan is very strong.

If you use screws, oversize the holes in the acrylic.

There are two reasons to use the tape - whether with screws or not - one is
adhesion and the other is to leave an even space between the glass and the
cabin sides for a thick layer of sealant. You need that space to give enough
thickness to the sealant to allow it to expand and shrink. If the sealant is
squeezed too thin the seal will break as the glass expands and shrinks. The
recommended tape is 3M brand tape VHB 4991 which, very importantly, is 2.3
mm thick. I would be very doubtful about the quality of the seal letting
silicone cure or partially cure before fastening it down. I would worry that
it would not be an even seal or might leave the sealant too thin. If I were
not going to use the tape I would use spacers to make the space even and
allow me to tighten the screws before the sealant cures.  I had thought that
thin flat faucet washers might do the trick if I could find the right size.
I was thinking I might drill the holes bigger and place the washers under
the screw head. In the end, the tape just seemed like a better idea. This
stuff is used a s the sole means to hold large glass panels on high raise
buildings so its adhesive qualities are very significant.

While there is significant and compound curve to the cabin size it does not
appear to take a lot of pressure to bend the acrylic and I have not seen
much difference in that respect between acrylic and lexan. The reason I
chose acrylic is because it is more resistant to scratches. Acrylic is not
as strong as lexan - it won't stop a bullet if that is an important
consideration - but it is plenty strong for the purpose.

I would be very interested to hear from you if you use heat to form the
plastic to the shape of the cabin side. In my case the size of the piece of
acrylic meant building a rather large oven of some sort and I wasn't sure if
I softened the plastic whether any clamping in place might leave impressions
in it. If you try using heat, please let us know how it works.

Graham