[Rhodes22-list] Chainplate access

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun Oct 4 10:27:31 EDT 2015

Rck:
On my boat the lower chainplates consist of a metal tang that wraps under
the deck core and goes back about 5" where it is fastened to the core
material with a small screw. I expect that the screw has come loose and the
chainplate is held only by the fact that the tang end is now pressing down
on the inside liner. That happened with all of mine to one degree or
another.

If you like I can send you a picture of the chainplate after I removed it
from my boat.

The easiest way to fix the loose chainplate would be to remove a part of the
liner and replace the screw. Make sure the core is still solid, if wood, and
use epoxy to strengthen the screw hold.

Personally, I never liked that particular arrangement for those chainplates.
I don't like the fact that the core is exposed to water as is inevitably the
case as the slot in the deck for the chainplate leaks and the stress and
movement of the chainplate will work the screw loose. Newer boats might have
a better arrangement and I think that the core  is, I believe, foam. In my
case I removed the lower chainplates entirely and replaced them with forged
screw bolts. I did it the hard way - from the outside - as I could not see
how it was attached and didn't have the presence of mind to pose the
question on this list.

I have already posted pictures of the old chain plate and my replacement
process as I went but if you want this information and can't find it in the
archives just let me know and I will resend it all.

Graham

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976
Kingston Ontario Canada