[Rhodes22-list] Picnic 17

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Mon Oct 26 14:48:01 EDT 2015

Bob,
I asked Stan about that when I bought my Rhodes.   The Picnic was an early attempt a motor sailor, but didn't catch on as hoped.   Stan joked about MacGreger stealing his idea.   MacGreger even built a 19 footer before the 26 foot Clorox bottle.    I noticed that Tattoo (his daughter's spin off of the company) is now designing a Rhodes sized motor sailor.    Water ballast minimizes weight. Outboards of the Picnic era also lacked power.   I think Stan said about 40 HP was available.     Discontinuing the Picnic, Stan went to Phillip Rhodes with a list of goals and design requirements, explained why he liked the flair sides, and the engineer convinced the architect to design a trailerable, cruisable sailing hull to his vision.   I wish those conversations were recorded. But that explains why this boat is so different from the Oday Tempest by Rhodes.    Stan, feel free to correct me if I your Southern heat addled my brain that day.
Ted, have you double checked your stays and shrouds with binoculars, to make sure there isn't a kink or twist at the head of the mast affecting your angle?    When I had to raise the Buccaneer mast every time I wanted to sail I continually amazed myself at how many ways a shroud or fitting could fail to run in a straight line.    And that boat only has 3 to watch!    It might be hard to see them in that bright sun of yours.    Alternately, perhaps there is ice on the line.   (smile).
AlexOhio