[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 on Nantahala Lake

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Sep 1 20:33:02 EDT 2015

At an altitude of 3000ft Nantahala Lake is supposed to be the 2nd highest
lake East of the Rockies. Surrounded by Appalachian peaks of over 5600ft it
is a hidden jewel with very few houses and stunning scenery.

I was planning to sail Fontana Lake at the foot of the Great Smokie National
Park but instead dragged my Rhodes up the steep Natahala Gorge and splashed
her in one of the two public launch ramps. As I had several visitors coming
on board I booked a slip at the only marina at Lake's End. The Marina has
recently been upgraded and now has a good restaurant and cosy cottages for
those who don't sleep on their boats.

Having a sailboat on the lake caused quite a stir and an old-timer commented
that "they don't see the likes of that too often". Sadly not too much wind,
so I couldn't put on a sailing display for the locals but the fishing was
good with a catch of trout and bass and I drank a toast of Mount Gay rum to
our good friend Rummy.

Cheers
Richard
S/V Waif