[Rhodes22-list] Navigation lights

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun Sep 13 14:47:12 EDT 2015

Graham,
  I really like the LEd's,I've changed all mine out several years ago,
really glad I did. Saturday before Labor Day,my grandsons and I watched
the fireworks from the boat and were one of the first boats back in the
slip.I'm on the end of the dock,which is great for sailing into the
slip,but on fireworks night , it leaves me exposed to the 40 or50 boats
that have to pass by me to get to their slip in the dark. So I left the
nav lights on, to be more visible,figuring I would be by Monday to turn
them off. Didn't happen. When I got there Thursday afternoon,the lights
we're still shining brightly.  That would not be the case with the old
lights.
 What I would suggest is change all the lights high up on the mast,(
anchor,steaming,deck lights) to LEd's, as they are the hardest ones to
get to when in a slip or on a moowing, and the first to go out,normally.
I would highly recommend new fixtures,not just bulbs, as the clips that
hold the bulbs corrode at the point of contact with the bulb, and in my
experience,way before the end of the season.
 The rest of the lights , you may want to wait until you splash,and see
how much you use the other lights,and change them out as you see fit.
As for the tri color mast head light, I think it would depend on the area
you plan to sail in. For big water, bays,Great Lakes,ocean, I think the
mast head may get you seen better. Smaller lakes and maybe rivers,it might
be best for lights to be lower.
 One thing to think about is that LEd's are diodes,and you can control two
lights with two wires by reversing the polarity. HOWEVER,the lights have
to be made for this application. A question to ask before you buy!
Also,you can't run both lights at the same time, so you will need to
arrange them like steaming/ anchor or deck / steaming or anchor / windex,
you get he idea.
 One thing for sure,I have the brightest lights in the marina!,

am wondering how newer Rhodes are equipped with navigation lights or if