[Rhodes22-list] Heaving To

kg4ezq jason_q at jasonquick.com
Fri Dec 23 16:17:20 EST 2016

Hello Rhodies,

I acquired a used '74 Rhodes 22 about 4 months ago and have quickly made it
the busiest sailboat in my marina. For the most part the boat is in good
shape, and all the things that matter for sailing are in really good shape
except the sails, which appear to be the originals and are pretty blown out.

The thing I'm hoping to get some input on is heaving to in the Rhodes. In
other boats I've been able to heave to and keep the bow pretty close to the
wind, perhaps 40-60 degrees. In the Rhodes no matter what I try with the
sails or rudder I always end up abeam the wind, usually a little more than
180 degrees. This is obviously bad, especially if I ever had to heave to in
big waves so I'm hoping somebody out there has figured this problem out.

I've tried all different combinations, but my 'default' configuration for
heaving to is centered main and traveler, rudder hard over with however much
genoa I happen to be sailing with back-winded. The amount of headsail does
not seem to make a significant difference to the angle.

Thanks!
Jason

P.S. This is my first post here. Howdy.