[Rhodes22-list] Connecticut outlaws sailing

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Feb 24 16:26:37 EST 2016

Alex,

With regard with how all of this affects trailer sailors (i.e. people who tailer their boats to other states), there are some interesting wrinkles in the boater education requirements.

To operate a vessel in Connecticut you need to have passed the test if A) you are a resident of CT, or B) you own property in CT, or C) the boat you are using is registered in CT.  Otherwise, the need for a certificate does not apply.  I have no idea if other states have similar rules.

In addition, they say they have reciprocity agreements with several neighboring states.  So your Massachusetts Safe Boating Card will be recognized in Connecticut.  But I can’t make much sense of this since according to the rules above, if you’re from Massachusetts you don’t need a Safe Boating Card at all in Connecticut.

You kind of get the feeling that states are still working this out.  Perhaps eventually there will be boating licenses that work a lot like drivers licenses.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
No Boat Yet