[Rhodes22-list] new traveler

Richard Stott ric at stottarchitecture.com
Tue Jun 7 18:24:57 EDT 2016

One thing the new traveller does not do, is ease quickly.
The main sheet is still the best option for de-powering in a hurry.
I have one on my ’84 Continental,  and I like it much better than the string or solid bar of previous iterations,
but this is not a control to unload an overpowered sail.
Its slow to adjust and takes some effort, especially if single handing.
Nevertheless- I think the traveller is best on the backstay.
I can get the boom centered and shape the sail in a number of ways with the backstay and traveler, and have much better control downwind as well.
I don’t have, and don’t want an IMF!
Another nice feature allows you to un-pin it and swing it out of the  way if boarding from astern, or if working on the motor.
Ric
s/v Dadventure
Hampton Bays