[Rhodes22-list] Triad Trailer brakes and adjustments

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Wed Jun 29 21:39:40 EDT 2016

I tried to take the pressure off the strut by using a scissor jack under the
bow (see photo) but I have subsequently removed it and can't say that I see
a difference. I would not put a jack under the keel given the inordinate
amount of time I spent fixing it last year.

My plan is to reinforce the hull with layers of roving and mat in the area
of the strut but obviously I don't want to do that while it is deformed. I
have removed the floor stringers and boards as part of my reconstruction and
also removed the internal bulkheads and compression post. So I currently
have unobstructed access to the hull.  I thought I might launch the boat to
see if the deformation changes  before I add the additional stiffening
layers of cloth but until I put in the floor structure and bulkhead I can't
reinstall the compression post and without that I can't sail the boat.
Leaving the interior reconstruction for a season would not be terrible but I
would sure hate to do that if I can't sail. So I seem to be caught in a
conundrum. The other alternative is to just live with it as is. This is when
being a compulsive sort is a real pain in the ass.

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976
Kingston Ontario Canada