[Rhodes22-list] Gelcoat Repair/ New Headsail furling system

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Mar 22 15:21:42 EDT 2016

The old-style General Boats furler was bullet-proof (it ALWAYS
worked) but you did indeed have to lower the mast to remove the sail.
It was screwed to the furler tube top and bottom - no halyard or
messenger line to worry about.

We had this system on our 1991 recycled in 1998. Some time after we
got our boat Stan moved to a CGI Flexible Furler system for a headsail furler.

We eventually had our genoa luff reworked for a Schaefer Snap-Furl
system as we had hoped this would allow us to change headsails more
easily. It's still a mighty chore to feed the sail into the groove -
not something we would do underway but we thouht and I still do think
it might be a bit easier than the CGI messenger line system.

I think Stan has come up with a new version of his own design
(http://www.rhodes22.com/ click on "furling genoa").

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless