[Rhodes22-list] Change to diamond shaped CB?

Joe Camp jjcampjr at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 09:55:33 EDT 2016

Oliver:
     My R-22 is a recycled 1987, and it has the standard centerboard. As I understand (from Stan) the same effect as that provided by the "Diamond Centerboard" can be obtained by deploying an old one about three quarters down. So, I do that. I don't know if it works (really) because I am not that savvy of a sailor. However, I trust Stan on any matter referring to his boat's performance.  So, there you have it.  Almost any question can be answered by checking on the "list"s archives."  Good luck getting your Rhodes.

     By the way, don't waste your time fretting any details about the R-22.  Whatever model (year) you get, it will have been engineered to maximum efficiency. Every one of them sails like a dream and cuts a dashing image on water, even on the hard.  Almost every time I launch, someone pulls into the marina and asks what kind of boat I have. It caught their eyes as they drove past. Then, they spend some time eying her up from many angles and showering me with questions and flattering comments. Couple of years ago, a guy approached with stars in his eyes (I mean, really awe-struck). "Ah, this is a Rhodes-22! I've heard of them, but I've never actually seen one." He spent twenty minutes. It's a great boat to own, and it warms the hearts of sailing enthusiasts.  It can't provide sex.  But, Stan's probably working on that.

Joe Camp
s/v John Dawson
Bohemia River, MD