[Rhodes22-list] What outboard would you buy?

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:24:03 EST 2016

This thread just showed up in my email, perhaps you haven't bought yet.   I
have a couple recent experiences.   Tohatsu makes the small Mercury and
several other brand's small motors.   The now defunct sailboat shop in
Indiana (as far as I know the whole state) downsold me to the 6 HP
sailmaster this spring.   It was a good choice, with adequate power even in
wind, a generator and amazing fuel economy.    It is relatively low RPM on a
larger higher torque prop.   To my understanding a motor is blind to
currents.  It is hull speed over water that limits us, not speed over
ground, so once it has power to achieve hull speed additional power doesn't
help it move better against a tide, except to the extent you manage to power
past hull speed.

I did have trouble this fall with poor restarts and stalling when around
expensive boats in marinas.   After the season ended I took it to my redneck
mechanic.  He dumped the gas, idled it at various speeds for 45 minutes and
found no problems.   He determined that the high fuel efficiency motor and
my tendency to sail til the last minute was my undoing.   The ethanol sucked
up water like brake fluid.   If I wasn't too cheap to dump the old fuel
Kentucky Lake would have been perfect.

Stan didn't have an electric option last year.  Pout.  If we make it to the
Abermarle in the spring I'll be sure to ask about it.   I promised my
girlfriend I'd NEVER make her go back to North Carolina in the heat of
summer.

Alex

-----
Alex Cole