[Rhodes22-list] 3rd use for the table top

rweiss rweiss at siu.edu
Wed Sep 14 12:08:35 EDT 2016

Thought I would share my experience with staying on the boat at the marina a
couple weeks ago. The evening was a little warm and I was in my slip with
shore power and my pop-top enclosure on, with the windows up so I could
enjoy a little breeze through the screens. I left my Bimini up to protect
the cockpit and because there was a very slight chance of rain in the night,
I decided to take my table top off the cockpit pole and put it on the floor
of the cockpit -- just to keep it out of direct rain. (Since I was staying
by myself, I did not need it for the double bunk in the cabin.) About 3 am,
I heard a "clunk" in the cockpit that woke me up. I stood up in the cabin
and looked out the port screen in the enclosure and was face-to-face with a
raccoon -- less than a few inches from my face. He jumped back onto the dock
and retreated to a safe distance. Evidently, he had jumped into the cockpit
looking for food and landed on the table top that essentially was a 360
degree teeter totter because of the pole receptacle in the center of the
underside. So, you can now also consider the table top a "Critter Alarm" if
needed. Not sure what would have happened if I had not left the top there,
as I'm sure he would have come right into the cabin! I put my hatch cover in
place for the rest of the night and will probably do so in the future to
ensure I don't have any uninvited guests while sleeping at the dock.

-----
Bob Weiss
Beach Spring
1998 Rhodes 22 Recycled in 2014