[Rhodes22-list] Rebuilding the Galley

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Wed Sep 21 12:23:21 EDT 2016

Peter:

I plan to go plain and simple using the same "system" that I used before. I decided that I didn't like the idea of a cooler under the galley as this would prove difficult to open on a port heel without food tumbling out and also took up a lot of storage space. I found a plastic/foam Igloo cooler that fit perfectly between the galley and the settee and below the  companion way entrance. It slides back under the entry way leaving the front end exposed about 18" This, as it turns out, makes a great step into the cabin while allowing me to leave the cushions on the settee. It also makes for a convenient seat when working at the galley.

The space saved under the galley allows me to add a small hanging locker at the companionway. It is only 8" wide but it provides a space for our wet gear, including boots and a garment bag for going-out-to-dinner clothes. I will post a photo once this work is completed.

To reinforce the plastic top of the cooler and make it a bit more nautical (see picture), I attached strips of teak with hot glue. Believe it of not, the teak strips have remained firmly in place for more than 20 years and they seem to have perfectly preserved the plastic lid from cracking under the weight of foot traffic. As I recall, the cooler cost about $40 so I think there is good value there. Personally, I just can't see spending $400 on a cooler. I have lots of other things higher up on my must have boating gear list.

Because the cooler is reasonably large (24x16x16), it stays cool very effectively when filled. Usually we find that we can go about 3 days in the summer before a block of ice melts. In the dead of winter the ice lasts indefinitely but given that the temperature here is well below freezing, we don't bother with the ice.

Graham