[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Spain-previously Italy

Chris Geankoplis chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 21:12:04 EDT 2017

Well gang, seems that one must always be flexible.  The "Dover Highway"
Roll-on-Roll-off ship won't make it to Baltimore until the 9th and won't
make it to Barcelona to drop off the Enosis until the 19th.  It was
supposed to be picked up and transferred to Livorno but they will have
missed that boat so it would not get transferred until the 20th of
September at the soonest.  Arrgh.

So, I've decided to pick up the boat in Barcelona.  There are several
options one is to cruise the Spanish coast and Balarics which are between
125 miles and 60 miles off shore.  There appear to be a number of nice
places on the Spanish coast between Barcelona and Valencia.  We would spend
2 months sailing around the area and leave the boat at a marina on land.

 The 2nd option if the weather looks good for a few days after the Balerics
passage (130 miles) we could make the jump to Southern Sardinia which is
about  a 300 mile open water crossing.  That would be the longest that I
have taken in the Rhodes.  From there it is another 200 to Sicily.  Once at
Sicily we would sail along the south coast to Ragusa Marina where we would
leave the boat for the winter.  I've sailed most of this route before but
in a much larger boat and it was challenging.  Actual sailing days would be
around 16 days.  However we would take our time and explore Majorca and
Sardinia and Sicily so the total time would be around 6 or 7 weeks.

The last option would involve sailing north along the Spanish coast to
France then along the French coast and then along the Italian coast to
Naples.  Marinas are very expensive and not a lot of places to anchor but
the coast is very beautiful.  Total sailing days would be around a month,
averaging around 30 miles a day.  I've sailed the Italian portion before.
We would leave the boat in the island of Ischia in the bay of Naples.

So if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions please let me know.  I'll
keep you posted.

Chris Geankoplis
Enosis