[Rhodes22-list] New owner catching up

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 14 18:33:26 EDT 2017

Congratulations.   I hope you guys have a lot of fun.   Outboards suck, my
next one will be electric.

Madison is nice in the summer, but surviving the Texas heat is an epic feat
of seamanship.       I love reports of people using their boat, even if I
don't make it to half the places.   Any pictures?    Was the foiler that was
killed by the DNR boat on your Wisconsin lake?

I spent years mostly singlehanding a 2 man Buccaneer 18 (The Rod
Macalpine-Downie and Dick Gibbs design, not the heavy slow bathtub with the
same name).  That boat has been described as "Fast boat, initially very
tender but firms up just before it capsizes" so I was kind of jumpy when I
came to the Rhodes-22.   It took me a while not to ease the sheet every time
the rubrail got wet and realize she just doesn't care if you wash the decks
on occasion.    I personally limit the main to only one '2' visible and
start with half a jib when the wind is in the 20's or gusting a lot.  I also
reef the main quickly if the weather might be building, since it seems much
harder to reef  in a heavy wind.     I'll play with the jib but not trust
more main until I'm really sure.   The vertical batten mainsail is a bit
fuller, so a tad more caution helps vs the batten-less sail that lacks a
roach.

How do you scull the Rhodes?

Alex Cole
Lark, 2002 model partially recycled in 2015.

-----
Alex Cole
S/V Lark