[Rhodes22-list] Curved Rudder | 84 Rhodes 22

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Wed Dec 6 12:19:33 EST 2017

My rudder contains a weight that looked like lead to me at the bottom tip. I know the lead is there because I sanded through the gel coat and saw it - not a bright idea. I don't know of any other metal elsewhere in the rudder.

Given the amount of voids in my rudder's core, I think the weight was needed to keep the rudder down. I filled all of the voids as best I could because I was concerned that water might make its way into the core and then freeze in the winter. That should also make the rudder significantly heavier - especially when submerged.

I have no idea whether boats of other vintages would have similarly built rudders. Only Stan would know that.

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976
Kingston Ontario Canada