[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit Waterproofing

Michael Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Sat Feb 18 18:12:50 EST 2017

Jay,

Many Rhodes owners have reduced the jib to a more manageable size.  That is
a Rhodes 22 sailor's preference.  Several sizes and furling systems are
available including ones that permit changing the jib sail while underway to
suit the conditions.  You should choose a system that provides comfort and
safety, commensurate with the skill level of the captain and crew.

I sailed the 135% Gennie for over 30 years on my first R22, without issue,
around Long Island including the LI Sound and the Atlantic.  Both are bodies
of water that can serve up demanding conditions without warning and one must
be careful and prepared.  No sail configuration will make a Rhodes 22 into a
blue water capable craft.  It is the responsibility of the captain to
safeguard the crew and respect the limitations of both craft and personnel.

I now own a newer R22 with IMF and a 175% Genoa.  I find issues pointing
with the sail significantly furled and find it difficult to come about when
it is fully deployed.  I still find it a welcome upgrade from my first
Rhodes.

I find the thought of walling up the under seat communication between the
cockpit and the cabin as a means of preventing water entry to the cabin
quite silly.  How will you prevent water from flowing into the cabin under
the companionway door?  It is relatively watertight from rain but not from
rising water in the cockpit.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY