[Rhodes22-list] Heaving To

kg4ezq jason_q at jasonquick.com
Fri Jan 6 13:17:09 EST 2017

Rick,

I almost always lower the main while hove to and sail back to the marina
with headsail only, I'd actually say that's my standard procedure barring a
reason to do otherwise or unfavorable winds that necessitate motoring back.
Some day when I have a good crew and good winds I'd like to sail in to the
slip, but I have a nearly 270 degree sharp dogleg turn at the harbor
entrance and a very tight slip which has made me reluctant to try so far.

My goal, in as much as I have one, is to get the boat to heave to with the
bow as close to the wind as possible. In other boats when I've heaved to
I've been between 50-60 degrees off the wind, which I had thought was
desirable to help the boat manage waves better (take them at an angle off
the bow rather than abeam).

So far in the Rhodes I'm getting between 80-90 degrees, so if there were any
real waves I'd be taking them right on the side, assuming the waves were
coming from the same direction as the wind. In my mind this is the worst
possible angle, so I've been trying everything I can think of to find a way
to point the bow higher while hove to.

I will add that on my little 5 mile lake heaving to abeam the waves will
never be an issue, but some day I hope to escape.

Thanks,
--Jason

Rick wrote