[Rhodes22-list] America's Cup 12-meter Yacht Weatherly

bwmcky bmackey at charter.net
Thu Jul 20 15:05:17 EDT 2017

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/n53493/weatherly_hero.jpg>

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to help race the 12-meter America's
Cup yacht, Weatherly.  It was a 3-hour sail out of Newport, RI, and I was
allowed to take the helm for about 30 minutes as well as help raise and
flake the  sails.  Others did the grinding tasks (thankfully.)  We raced for
only  few minutes against the American Eagle, one of Ted Turner's
12-meters.  It was a thrilling experience.

And why am I posting this?  Because the Weatherly, one of only three boats
on the Historical Register, was the only America's Cup yacht designed by
Philip Rhodes, so it's an ancestor to our boats.

You can get on board too, if you wish.  The operation is run by America's
Cup Charters.  Google it.  (I have no connection to the company or the boat,
just a customer.)

Here are a couple of (very) short videos if you would like to peek at the
experience:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9eecaspmeod87r/American%20Eagle.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wjza1xd69d8lxo/Over%20the%20Wake.mp4?dl=0

-----