[Rhodes22-list] Jacklines

Rick sloopblueheron at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 16:38:18 EDT 2017

I'm a Great Lakes open water sailor, so when the weather threatens, I rig
jacklines.  Following the traditional keel boat pattern, I run a line on
both port and starboard sides from the bow cleat to the port and starboard
aft cleats.

The lines run outside the shrouds and inside the transom rail.  That way,
if I fall from the bow, I'll get dragged just before the transom and not
dragged behind.  On the port side, I won't get ground up by the motor.  On
starboard, I should be in position to use the boarding ladder.

For a 22 foot boat, I never imagined there may be an option other than
going overboard.  A recent article in *Sail Magazine* by Peter Nielsen
suggests otherwise.  He recommends running a single jackline along the boat
centerline, and always use a 3 ft tether.

Has anyone rigged a jackline along the centerline?  If so, where do you
attach it aft so it doesn't interfere with normal sailing?

Rick