[Rhodes22-list] motor access with aft stay mounted traveller

Jay Curry jac2 at wavecable.com
Sat Jul 29 04:43:49 EDT 2017

You did not mention if you use the throttle bar for steering. If so, you
need to make an attachment from the rudder to the engine so the tiller can
be used for steering.

With the tiller used for steering, the throttle bar can be secured in a
vertical position. It can then be easily reached from over the top of the
stern rail for throttle use.

In my case the traveler is a few inches below the level of the top of the
stern rail, so the rail is the barrier, not the traveler. I reach over the
rail for carefully planned gear changes and can reach the throttle without
moving away from the tiller or to an awkward position relative to the
tiller.

I removed the electric winch and replaced it with a four double-block lift.
I stand, reach over the stern rail, easily lift or lower the engine and
secure the lift line in a jam cleat. My Tohatsu 6HP 4 stroke engine is
58 lbs, but the lift can handle a larger 100 lb engine just as easily.

I would not trust any kind of quick disconnect on the traveler. I think it
needs to be permanently secured. Having it break loose under sail could
easily cause serious damage or injury.

Hope that helps

Jay
Port Angeles, WA