[Rhodes22-list] Replace or fix outboard motor bracket?

Jay Curry jac2 at wavecable.com
Thu Jun 1 12:29:50 EDT 2017

The pulleys are from West Marine. They are stainless steel with bearings.
They are expensive but worth it since they last with salt water use.
Everything related to sailing seems to be 4 or 5 times more expensive than
it should be. We once had horses and looked for a wall feeder for the
stalls. The farm store had two versions at different locations in the store,
one for horses and one for cows. The horse version was nearly twice the cost
of the cow version, but the model and manufacturer for both were identical.
Such was our welcome to sailing and not fishing.

The pulleys hang from galvanized 1" pipe straps available anywhere. I could
not find stainless hangers. The bolts are stainless. The line is 5/16 all
purpose nylon available anywhere. The line is attached to the 1" bottom
mounting bar on top of the engine mount formerly used for the winch strap.
It is not mounted in any way to the engine. There is no guide for the pull
end of the line, it just goes over the platform top of the engine slide
channels to a jam cleat. Easy lock, easy release and secure under sail. Yes,
the Tohatsu Sail Pro 4 stroke has been extremely reliable, it loses no oil,
stays clean and is easy to winterize and service. It has a charging system
for the batteries. An electric start version is available, but It usually
starts on the first pull even on the first use in spring. It pushes the boat
easily to hull speed at about half throttle. I will never even think about
owning another 2 stroke.

If you would like better or more detailed pictures, email me directly at
jac2 at wavecable.com

Jay
Port Angeles, WA