[Rhodes22-list] Ethanol problems

Gary Novotny gjnovotny at comcast.net
Sun Jun 18 18:01:16 EDT 2017

Susan,

My experience with gasohol and small engines has lead me to never put
gasohol in any small engine that isn't used frequently such as my
motorcycle, chainsaw, pressure cleaner, lawn tractor, generator or my
Tohatsu outboard. After numerous trips to the small engine mechanic for
carburetor rebuilds, I have sworn to always use Rec gas in all my small
engines and I haven't had another problem since. I haven't found using
Rec gas afterwords will correct problems once they have occurred. For
your issue, you might try using a spray carburetor cleaner, or a fuel
additive such as Techron, which might work if the problem isn't too
severe. I live in Florida and gasohol seems to deteriorate rather
quickly when stored in small amounts such as an engine gas tank.

I always use a fuel stabilizer in any gas I put in a small engine, this
is an essential step regardless of the type of fuel you use. A lot of
boaters down here use Sea Foam added to the fuel of their outboards and
seem to think it helps. I've been using STA-BIL for many years with good
success with Rec Gas, but it doesn't work well with gasohol. They have
some other product for that application, which I haven't tried as I gave
up using gasohol altogether.

Gary

S/V Moon Shadow 1978 Rhodes 22

S/V Blackfish 1987 Corsair F27