[Rhodes22-list] Advice / Recommendations - Purchase of used Rhodes 22

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 18 18:10:35 EDT 2017

This shows as 'not approved' so I'm not sure its being seen by all the
Rhodies, depending how they view the list.

Welcome to the Rhodes 22.   I'm not sure how much specific advice I can
give, hopefully others will chime in.   I've been sailing since I was a kid
but only got my Rhodes a couple years ago so my experience in this class is
limited.  In general for a used sailboat.
1.  Is it all there?  Boom, mast, rudder, hardware, lines.
2.  Sails, a big repeated expense for every sailboat.    The in mast furling
main, if equipped, is convenient.  I love mine, but admit there is a trade
off in sail shape compared to traditional battens, pocket and a full roach.
If you are new to sailing, this may not make sense or matter.  But look for
wear spots where the canvas sun shield attaches and the white sail sticks
out of the mast.  This appears to be a common failure point for the in mast
furling main.   Older sails make it harder to sail upwind, and generally
lose efficiency.  Which boat has newer sails?
3.   Soft spots on the deck.  Rhodes prior to the last several years had
wood cores, like most trailerable overnighters and pocket cruisers.   If
there are spots on the deck that sound hollow or feel mushy, the wood is
suspect.  Repair is possible.  Graham can provide the agonizing details.
4.   Standing rigging.  The Rhodes 22 can survive the loss of any single
stay or shroud, but its best to inspect them all for torn strands or
corrosion where the fitting is swedged to the ends.   I understand from
serious sailors on the coast that saltwater boats have a lifespan of  10-15
years for these parts.   After that you are at risk for an exciting ping
sound.
5.   What options / upgrades do the boats in question have?    The traveler
bar mounted between the backstays is wonderful.   The diamondboard vs higher
aspect centerboard appears to be more robust for shallow water or trailer
mishaps.   The mast crane and foredeck fitting make it possible for one guy
to raise the mast by himself in a fresh breeze.   If you plan on trailer
launching this plus a good trailer are vital.   In Mast Furling is a
convenience option that is especially nice for single handed evening or
short sails.   It also allows you to balance exposed jib and main for better
control if you will do a lot of sailing in gusty conditions.  Are the Rhodes
you are looking at set up as pocket cruisers?   Is that important for your?
Head?  Stove? pop top tent? Table/berth insert? Good cushions?   Cushions
are expensive, missing cushions are hard to recreate without a template.
Captains chairs!!!!   The revised pushpit and captains' chairs allow for
great viability.  If you lock an elbow around the backstay and use that arm
to hold the sheet while the other elbow presses against the pushpit and
holds the hiking stick you can maintain a rock steady perch no matter how
far she heels over.
6.  What owner accessories come with your the boats?    If somebody is
getting out of sailing the supply of safety vests, fenders, compass, safety
flag, dock lines, anchors will make outfitting your new boat much more
economical.  Troll through the Defender websight and look at costs for
things you won't have to buy.
7.   Have the PO's made questionable improvements?   Stan conducted an
interesting experiment by redesigning the same model decade after decade,
constantly tinkering.   Most owner mods are not done by a Purdue engineer
with many decades in the marine industry.   Often good boats are screwed up
by amateur shipwrights trying to make a good design do something it wasn't
meant to do.  Look for the boat that had great owner TLC but be wary of any
boat that the PO redesigned.   The Rhodes 22 is a great couples trailerable
pocket cruiser, marina hopper and daysailer.   If the PO tried to make it
into something else, he may have created a Frankenboat.

Alex Cole
SV LArk
Ohio (mostly)

-----