[Rhodes22-list] Ethanol problems

Rick sloopblueheron at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 14:20:29 EDT 2017

Hi Mary Lou,

It is diaphragm.  They are common on small engines that change orientation,
like weed whackers and chain saws.

Better quality outboard makers, like Evinrude, only use diaphragm
carburetors.  Others offer them as an option.

I think idle jets are about the same regardless of carburetor
architecture.  The thing about ethanol is that it dissolves all the goo and
water in the gas tank and fuel line that was left behind by ethanol-free
gasoline.  When the ethanol evaporates from an unused carburetor bowl, the
contaminates separate out and are thus able to clog the jets.  Additives
keep the dirt and water suspended after the ethanol is gone.

Rick